Job Title: Coating Chemist
Job ID: DC20.20
Location: Chicago IL. Area
Benefits: Excellent Benefit Package, including 401K
About our Client:
Our client is a world leader in the manufacture of leading-edge coatings for automotive and other high, value-added coatings applications
This Coating Chemist position has arisen out of the company’s commitment to expanding the product range we currently offer. This position directly reports to the Technical Manager with responsibilities to include customized spray booth operations, chemist lab work, as well as presenting product information and application technique to company representative as well as Client Customers. This is a “hybrid” position with excellent opportunities for advancement.
- Operate and maintain customized spray booth with rotary bell atomizer, electrostatic air spray and hand spray gun in a safe manner.
- Carry out spray correlation work between group companies and customers
- Conduct metallic and non-metallic paint pigment coatings evaluation
- Conduct chemist trials by utilizing powder and paste pilot/production facilities to develop and/or modify products based on customer needs
- Provide Chemists with technical support for product transfer, raw material approval and method development including training other team members
- Support investigation of product non-conformances and customer concerns for resolution and prevention from re-occurrence
- Support Quality and Production coatings team by maintaining product standards
- Prepare, record and maintain appropriate process documentation
- Maintain technical information for group products for local customer base.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry or related field with minimum 5 years of related industry experience
- 2-3 years of paints or coatings industry experience
- Batch formulation and color matching skills with metallic pigments in waterborne and solvent borne systems in preferred
- Extensive knowledge of automotive paint systems with hands on experience with spray coating system is preferred
- Experience with lab instruments such as X-rite, BYK-MACi, viscometer, Rheometer and laser particle size analyzers would be a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills. draw valid conclusions.
- Computer proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- May require travel to group companies and as well as customers as needed