HOMER is growing and we are in need of an incredibly talented Controller to support our senior management team in New York! This role will be responsible for HOMER’s entire accounting function. You will be at the intersection of the Operations, Finance, Business Development, and the office of the CEO, supporting the growth of a fast-scaling educational startup from the inside. This is the perfect job for an extremely strong accountant that wants to get their foot in the door to the finance and operations world.
The Controller will be critical in implementing a world-class Accounting & Finance function. You will provide financial insights to measure company performance, participate in operational decisions, and drive smarter business decisions across all levels of the organization.
HOMER, a BEGiN brand, is the early learning program that provides the best educational start possible by offering fun, personalized, and proven learning products for kids ages 2-8. As a strategist, consultant and implementer, the successful candidate will ensure streamlined activities within the organization based on the priorities of the leadership team. The right candidate for the job will contribute to the long-term success of the company.
- Plan, direct and coordinate all accounting operational functions
- Manage the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data necessary for an accurate accounting of consolidated business results
- Coordinate and prepare internal and external financial statements
- Coordinate activities of external auditors and establish process for internal audits
- Provide management with information vital to the decision-making process `
- Manage the budget process
- Assessing current accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement and implementing new processes
- Evaluating accounting and internal controls
- Evaluating the effectiveness of accounting software and supporting database, as needed
- Conduct research and make recommendations to implement proper financial policies and process (i.e. expense reimbursements, T&E, AP/AR, etc.)
- Develop and monitor business performance metrics
- Oversee regulatory reporting, frequently including tax planning and compliance
- Hiring, training and retaining skilled accounting staff as the team continues to grow.
- Corporate Governance, such as: preparation of annual tax returns, advisement on proper insurance coverages, and ensuring compliance with local tax authorities.
- Monitor performance indicators, highlighting trends and analyzing variances
- Improve performance by evaluating processes to drive efficiencies
- Analyze complex financial information and reports to provide accurate and timely
financial recommendations to management for decision making purposes
- Support Senior Mgmt. and Dept. heads with in-depth analyses
- Participate in M&A activities and acquisition integration
- 7+ years experience, including Big 4 Accounting experience and relevant work experience in a banking, VC or start-up environment
- CPA Certification
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving, project management and communication skills
- A desire to dive in and learn about new problems, startups and technology
- Ability to interpret, understand and manipulate complex data - a master of excel and data
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to interact and influence at all levels
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and deliver within short/tight deadlines and with high precision
- Ability to think creatively, highly-driven and self-motivated
- Demonstrated ability to roll-up sleeves and work with team members in a hands-on management capacity
We prefer but don’t require:
- Degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics
- Masters of Accounting or MBA
- SQL is a plus
We like people who:
- Are open to suggestions, collaborative, and thrive in team environments
- Love and are willing to learn new technologies and styles
- Are scrappy, entrepreneurial with the ability to turnaround high-quality projects quickly
What you’ll get:
- HOMER offers competitive compensation including equity and full benefits
- Smart, passionate, and engaged co-workers
- Excellent top-tier Medical/Dental/Vision benefits
- The chance to have a big impact, quickly
- The rare opportunity to make a dent in the universe. We’re bringing a love of reading and learning to children globally
HOMER is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. HOMER does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.