Simple Mills is a rapidly-growing Chicago-based company on the forefront of the clean food movement, transforming center store grocery aisles with products made from simple, whole food, nutrient dense ingredients. In the company’s short four-year history, Simple Mills has become the #1 bestselling natural baking mix, the #1 bestselling natural cracker, and the #2 bestselling natural cookie.
Distributed in 12,000+ grocery stores nationally from Whole Foods to Target and Meijer, the brand has also earned broad recognition ranging from a Chicago Innovation Award and a “Fab Five” rating on Instacart as one of the top trending food products in 2017, to product awards from Good Housekeeping, Prevention, Self, Clean Eating, Delicious Living, Paleo Magazine, Yoga Journal and more. In addition, company founder and CEO Katlin Smith has been recognized in the Forbes 30 Under 30, Inc. 30 Under 30, and Progressive Grocer Top Woman in Grocery competitions.
The company’s mission is to provide simple, wholesome, convenient foods that taste great; eliminate processed, artificial, GMO, high-carbohydrate, nutrition-empty ingredients; and both support and encourage healthy eating habits. It’s that Simple.
This is a full-time, exempt, benefited position within the Simple Mills’ manufacturing and quality team. The Quality Assurance Supervisor will report up to the Director of Quality Assurance, and is responsible for supporting the Quality team members in their day-to-day execution and adherence to the Quality Management and Food Safety System at Simple Mills. Specific responsibilities include:
- Supports the QA department to maintain high standards of quality by assisting with document management, program development and laboratory testing
- Supervise production runs at manufacturing sites to assure finished product Quality
- Manages the Simple Mills Certificate of Analysis (COA) program
- Manages the Corrective Action/Preventive action program for all inputs (Supplier, co-manufacturers and consumer complaints)
- Assist the Director of QA with the supplier management program execution (document management, audit closure, scheduling and communication)
- Executes internal sensory panel studies and employee tests under guidance from the Director of Quality Assurance and according to protocols
- Manages inventory of product samples, small equipment and a retain sample library
- Evaluates retained samples to confirm compliance to Simple Mills internal specifications and maintains database of results
- Sets-up and executes product quality evaluations, this includes; physical set-up of product evaluation, measurement of product attributes, evaluation of sensory attributes, data collection and data reporting
- Understands and identifies non-conforming raw materials, semi-finished and finished foods
- Partners with 3rd party laboratories to set up testing requirements and manage results
- Works under the direction of the Director of QA to develop and run standard Excel reports
- Inspects products for safety, product quality, and packaging quality
- Monitors, records, and verifies Quality related documents
- Oversees the receipt of shipments of product samples and ingredients from manufactures and warehouses
- Assists with customer complaint data analysis and reviews by maintaining appropriate records, retains and follow-up completion
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science preferred (Chemistry, Food Science, etc.)
- 2+ years’ related experience working in a food quality laboratory setting and/or a food production environment; HACCP, USDA or FDA preferred
- Previous experience with GFSI scheme and FDA audits
- Preferred certifications: CQA (Certified Quality Auditor), PCQI, HACCP, SQF practitioner and/or other GFSI scheme, Food Defense Coordinator
- The position requires 20 – 40% travel
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and other applications as needed; specifically, candidates must have an intermediate PowerPoint proficiency, and strong Excel skills (ability to structure and analyze data, manipulate pivot tables, create trackers, and utilize basic functions)
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and must also effectively manage and execute changes
- Position requires ability to act as a member of a highly functioning team
- Good communication, writing, analytical, and critical thinking skills
- A passion for natural food and healthy eating as well as a desire to change the way we think about ingredient labels
Benefits of Working at Simple Mills
- Have a direct impact on a brand experiencing explosive growth
- Gain exposure to areas of the business beyond your functional area as everyone on our team wears many different hats
- Be a part of a talented team driven by a mission to make healthy, tasty food broadly available, positively influencing the way America eats
- Enjoy competitive employee benefits including health, dental, vision, disability, FSA/DCA account options, Commuter Reimbursement Plan, and a 401(k) plan
We are seeking high-energy individuals who are motivated by challenges, thrive in a fast-paced environment, and have a desire to make a positive impact on the food industry. Compensation will be competitive for the ideal candidate. The position is for an immediate start in Chicago. In your cover letter, we’d like to know why you want to join Simple Mills, any relevant skills for the position, what foods we would find in your house if we paid you a surprise visit, and two food brands you admire most (and why).
Simple Mills is an Equal Opportunity Employer.