Introduction to Shield AI
Shield AI’s mission is to protect service members and civilians with artificially intelligent systems. For our world-class team, no idea is too ambitious, and we never stop working to make possible what looks out of reach today. We are backed by Silicon Valley venture capital firms including Andreessen Horowitz, have been shipping product for the past year, and are growing rapidly.
Are you a passionate and innovative autonomy engineer looking to help develop state of the art robots and AI products? Are you eager to make a positive difference in the world? Do you want to work alongside mission-driven and values-focused teammates?
As part of the planning & controls team, you are responsible for ensuring that the robot behaves intelligently and inspires confidence as it moves through an uncertain and dynamic world. You are responsible for creating algorithms which allow for introspection and adaptation, and their transfer to other systems.
What you'll do:
- Research, design, and implement algorithms and systems for: autonomous, high-level decision making; exploration strategies; motion planning in large, cluttered environments; high-performing, accurate, robust control of quadrotors.
- Leverage and improve upon simulation to aid in the design of new algorithms
- Develop and improve analysis tools to characterize and quantify flight performance
- Work with the User Services and Experience team to create magical human-robot interactions
Who we're looking for:
- Proficiency in C++
- M.S. in computer science/related quantitative science
- 1+ years professional experience in robotics and autonomous systems
- Experience with state-of-the-art algorithms in at least one of the following areas: [i] autonomous high-level decision making in uncertain & dynamic environments (e.g. graph traversal, dynamic programming, partially observable Markov decision processes), [ii] motion planning, [iii] classical & modern control theory
- You have a demonstrated passion for solving complex problems with little supervision in a fast-moving team, and are an inspiring team player with strong communication skills and the ability to lead
- You have a track record of working hard, being trustworthy, holding yourself and others to high standards, and being kind
- 1+ years of professional experience in C++11 or later
- Strong foundation in theory: motion planning, controls, sensor fusion, deep learning, rigid body dynamics, linear algebra, non-linear optimisation, computer vision, etc.
- You possess a strong knowledge of and experience with modern software engineering best practices in algorithms, data structures, clean code methodologies, test-driven development, build systems, etc.
- Languages: C++, Python, Bash, Julia, Matlab, etc.
- Algorithms & data structures
- Test-driven development and frameworks (GoogleTest, Nose, etc.)
- Debugging tools (gdb, pdb, etc.)
- Build systems (Bazel, Buck, CMake, etc.)
- Deployment (Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)
If you're interested in being part of our team apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To conform to U.S. Government regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.