UWorld is seeking an Android Software Developer who is passionate about creating an excellent user experience and enjoy taking on new challenges. The Android app developer will be responsible for the design, development, testing, deployment, and support of our Test Prep applications.
Minimum Education Required:
- Master’s degree or foreign academic equivalent in Computer Science
- Will accept Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science plus two years of progressive experience in lieu of the Master’s degree
Minimum Experience Required:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Working proficiency and communication skills in verbal and written English
- Excellent interpersonal skills demonstrating ability to articulate ideas clearly, concisely, and persuasively
- Excellent attention to detail and organization skills
- Ability to work effectively within a changing environment that is going through high growth
- Ability to understand direction and feedback
- Exceptional follow-through, personal drive, and the desire to make a difference
The Software Developer will perform the following duties:
- Develop and test new applications or contribute to the development of existing Android and Kindle applications in terms of new feature enhancements
- Develop native UI screens for current (USMLE, MCAT, BOARDS. SAT & ACT, NCLEX apps) and future UWorld mobile products (MBE, Advanced placements[AP], CPA/CFA test preparation) using native Android components or hybrid frameworks (e.g. Ionic)
- Employ best practices for code sharing and development to ensure common code base abstraction across all applications.
- Consume REST and/or SOAP services to provide interactive experience for end user with real-time data.
- Work with QA engineers to ensure quality and reliability of all apps by process of continuous improvement.
- Develop, modify, and test algorithms that can be employed in computer programs to store, locate, and retrieve specific documents, data, and information
- Develop and/or consume API calls to ensure all user specific interactive data be stored in the back-end database (SQL) using service calls and JSON objects.
- Provide mechanism for end users to search product-specific materials and show them in user interface for review.
- Display data received from service calls and provide end-user with ancillary features that help in data retrieving, searching and filtering.
- Review the bug report compiled by customer care team and the priority set by Sr. Software Engineer to fix them.
- Collaborate with other developers, engineers, and subject matter experts in maintaining existing applications and to build new application prototypes
- Create digital wireframes using Android Studio, marvelapps or proto.io for new features in existing apps or to document requirements for new/future products.
- Work with a team of software engineers to achieve quality and on-time releases.
- Collaborate with technical architects, product leads, QA team and customer care team to drive new enhancements or fix bugs in a timely manner.
- Raise concerns with UX designers and other operating system specific developers (eg: iOS, Mac and Windows) for Android specific limitations (if any).
- Involve in discussions related to new app development or application prototype for future UWorld products.
- Environment: CSS, HTML, Android Studio, proto.io or marvelapps (optional)
- Ensure continuous product improvement via user feedback and platform-based research. Also ensure consistent functionality across all modalities of client-server interaction
- Continuously review other platform specific features (mainly Web and iOS) to see if the same can be implemented in Android platform (e.g., Flashcards, Highlights, Strikeout of the contents and saving those user actions at granular level for future reference).
- Understand the cross-platform functionality support so all apps provide consistent user experience.
- Learn from Sr. Software Engineers on market research to provide cutting-edge features to users
- Review app store feedback on a continuous basis to ensure early detection of user concerns as well as gauge product popularity and development direction.
Statement of Supervision:
- Android Developer will check in with Sr. Software Engineer(s) on weekly basis to provide updates and to report issues or concerns related to application development:
- Update task list periodically (on an as-needed basis) with up-to-date status updates using tools like Visual Studio Team Services, Agile Central, or any other project management tool as indicated by Sr. Software Engineer.
- Incorporate and implement optimizations as suggested by development team and/or Sr. Software Engineer as part of Code Review process.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- Competitive compensation (contingent on experience)
- Paid time off (based on sliding scale according to hire date and work hours)
- Generous paid holiday schedule that includes the entire week of Christmas off.
- Comprehensive benefits package (medical, vision, dental, life, disability)
- 401(k) plan for retirement with 4% employer matching (eligibility after 90 days of employment)
- On-site group fitness classes & relaxed work environment
At UWorld, we believe strength is derived from the talents, ideas, and experiences of a diverse workforce. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, or any other protected class. UWorld is proud to be an equal opportunity employer providing a drug-free workplace. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.