Provide engineering, project management and analytical support to the Design Engineering department and other support responsibilities as requested. Essentially support the design and implementation of new processes, facilities, and retrofits.
• Customized logistics solutions and layouts for Americold’s customers
• Sales initiatives involving the analysis of customer requirements, in conjunction with other departments, to create proposals for new business
• Detailed analysis of customer product profiles to determine warehousing requirements, including resource modeling, layout planning, material flow planning and equipment definition
• Internal initiatives involving the compilation of databases that keep in-house facility information at the disposal of the engineering department so it can serve as ‘subject matter experts’ for the company
• Management of solution design process, leading discussions on pick faces, reserve pallet storage, dock doors, expansion square footage, yard changes, rack changes, etc.
• Develop new facility designs to scale by drawing in AutoCAD – both warehouse and site plans – to support new business proposals
• Deliver discrete event simulation models (in FlexSim) to accurately predict capacity constraints, functionality, and aesthetically accurate representations of proposed designs
• Modify existing facility layouts in AutoCAD to represent alterations for a customer’s requirement (re-racking, temperature changes, additional dock doors, etc.)
• Create spreadsheets, layouts and documentation to explain how a proposed solution meets the long term needs of our customer
• Price estimate conceptual layouts and provide options that provide labor savings opportunities
• Work with 50+ sites to organize, catalog and electronically store drawings/layouts of facilities, sites, and refrigeration diagrams when we do not have documentation.
• Compile drawings for existing sites (150+) that do not have good quality layouts. Visit site if necessary to measure and layout as-built
• Develop presentation-ready layouts and plot drawings for corporate staff, marketing, event functions and sales efforts
• Research and understand options in racking layout design and material handling equipment to match designs to business requirements
• Learn about facility design and implementation; visit sites, understand processes; match operational needs to design solutions
• Support project management of solution implementation in the US, Australia or China as needed
Qualifications & Experience:
• Degree in Industrial and/or Systems, Mechanical, Civil Engineering or similar
• 1 to 3 years of project-related design work; completed internship preferred
• Working knowledge of AutoCAD software
• Advanced knowledge and capabilities with Microsoft Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint, Visio, VBA & SQL
• Excellent technical skills including a strong command of Word, Access, PowerPoint and Visio
• General understanding of facility layout and design (coursework/project examples)
• Preferred experience with commercial simulation packages (FlexSim strongly preferred)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Proven ability to take initiative and meet deadlines
• Ability to articulate why a proposed design is recommended and how it meets requirements
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interact comfortably with senior level business contacts.
• Strong organizational and analytical skills.
• Must be able to work flexible hours based on business needs.
• Must be able to commute to our corporate office, our field management, and warehouse associates
• Requires up to 20%-30% travel, with some international travel possibly required.
• Requires the ability to sit for long periods of time, with frequent interruptions
• Requires several hours per day of sitting, getting up and down from chairs, and reaching, or bending
• Requires manual dexterity with normal hand and finger movements for typical office work
• Talking, hearing, and seeing are important elements of completing assigned tasks
• May require travel by automobile and airplane up for business
• May require a visit facility operations in temperatures at or below freezing
• May carry loads related to travel and occasionally lifts, carries, positions, or moves objects weighing up to 20 pounds
• Requires the use of various electronic tools
• Requires the ability to relate to others beyond giving and receiving instructions: must partner with colleagues without exhibiting behavioral extremes
• Requires the performance of work activities including reasoning, negotiating, instructing, persuading, or speaking with others; and respond appropriately to constructive feedback from executive management
Americold is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
EOE/AA M/F/D/V DFW.