High School Special Education Teacher
DSST Public Schools (DSST) seeks a High School Special Education Teacher to join one of the leading charter school organizations in the nation. We serve 6-12th grade students across Denver and Aurora. Our mission is to transform urban public education by eliminating educational inequity and preparing all students for success in college and the 21st century.
Overview of Position:
DSST Public Schools seeks teachers with a track-record of raising student achievement to join a team of educators dedicated to providing a rigorous college preparatory program to a diverse population. Our teachers are leaders who play an integral role in ensuring student success through supporting our school culture, developing and instructing a rigorous core curriculum, and using data to drive their daily practice. Our Special Education teachers see and grow the potential of all students by providing differentiated support and by building inclusive spaces and strong relationships with each student and family.
Our Special Education Teachers serve students from all eligibility categories. You may need to teach literacy, math, language skills, behavioral skills, daily living skills, and/or adaptive skills, and may also provide physical care needs. Our teachers provide instruction at the large group, small group and individual level, and collaborate with general education staff for successful inclusion of students.
We will inquire about your grade level and campus specific preference at the time of interview.
- Demonstrate relentless drive to improve the minds and lives of students
- Take holistic accountability for student success- taking ownership of each student’s academic success or failure.
- To live and model the school’s core values with colleagues, students, parents and the larger community
- To reinforce the school’s core values, guiding philosophy, rules and school spirit
- Exhibit mastery and enthusiasm for the assigned academic subjects and classes
- Plan and implement targeted curriculum and assessments for each student which adheres to the school's curriculum and standards.
- Work to implement and master DSST Public Schools’ core instructional practices
Curriculum and Assessment
- To implement a variety of targeted assessments and root cause analysis that measure progress towards learning outcomes and that adhere to the DSST Assessment Framework.
- To use assessment data to adapt curriculum and instructional practices to help students meet the school's performance standards. Such use of data includes re-teach weeks, spiraling skills, and changing daily instruction to meet student needs.
- To devote the necessary time and energy required to master the craft of teaching. To be open to innovative approaches to teaching, feedback from colleagues and school administration.
- To actively participate in the school’s professional development programs including data analysis and planning, leading and participating in best practice sessions, peer coaching, and attending conferences.
DSST Public Schools seeks candidates with strong character, passion for excellence and a relentless commitment to student achievement.
- Candidates are required to have a Bachelor's Degree.
- Applicants for Special Education teaching positions must meet the following requirements:
Have both a license and a special education endorsement:
Type of License:
- A7- Special Education Teacher in Residence
- ATL- Alternative Teacher License
- ATLW- Alternative Teacher License Waiver
- INTL- Initial Teacher License
- PFTL- Professional Teacher License
- PFTM- Professional Teacher License- Master
- Special Education Generalist
- Special Education Specialist
- Teacher 1-Moderate Needs
- Teacher- Educationally Handicapped (EH)
Commitment to Equity
- We believe that if we actively commit to equitable and inclusive practices aligned to our mission and values, our students and staff will achieve at high levels.
Commitment to Continuous Growth
- We believe that if we foster our own growth mindsets, our students and staff will develop a commitment to continuous improvement and thus maximize their potential.
Commitment to Healthy Team
- We believe that if we commit to modeling and fostering healthy teams, our students and staff will achieve a collective success that surpasses that of the individuals
Drives to Results
- We believe if we strategically develop systems and people with a driven sense of urgency and focus on results, our students and staff will achieve ambitious goals.
Reports to: School Director