Start Date: 9/2/2019
Education: A bachelor's degree is required.
Certification and License: New York State Special Education certification is required.
Experience: Teaching experience required.
Position Overview: The Amber Charter School Special Education Teacher understands and promotes the school’s mission, vision, objectives, and policies both within and outside the immediate school community. The Special Education Teacher is responsible for providing a classroom/instructional program that supports the individual needs of all children in accordance with the school’s mission and values established by the school.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities & duties (including, but not limited to)
- Assume personal responsibility for the academic progress of identified students.
- Implement a coherent, research-based curriculum in consultation with Administration.
- Differentiate small group instruction for students with special needs.
- Prepare student individualized education plans in consultation with staff and families to ensure success for all students.
- Focus on improving and mastering academic goals as outlined in students’ IEPs.
- Document all lesson plans, assignments, rubrics and other instructional materials and methods.
- Use consistent school-wide practices and a variety of individualized methods to engage students in the classroom.
- Measure student achievement and progress towards learning objectives using the school’s formative and summative assessment tools.
- Evaluate academic achievement through detailed data analysis of student performance on a wide variety of metrics.
- Provide ongoing and timely feedback to students on their progress towards meeting expectations and achieving goals.
- Complete all reports in a timely manner.
- Use student data to reflect on effectiveness of lessons and student achievement progress in order to improve instruction and personal practice.
- Create, and manage a responsive learning environment that enables students to feel safe, to be creative, and to develop to their full potential.
- Establish, model, practice and reinforce age-appropriate rules and discipline using school approved procedures; create and consistently use individual behavioral management plans as needed.
- Implement classroom procedures, systems and routines that provide structure for students.
- Ensure smooth operation of all classroom instructional functions without exceptions.