The Manager of SEC Reporting and Technical Accounting is responsible for all SEC financial reporting activities and technical accounting analysis. This individual will frequently interact with accounting staff, IT, legal, and other stakeholders across the organization as well as external SOX consultants and external auditors. This role requires critical thinking skills, effective organizational skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and a strong ability to build effective relationships across the Company. This position offers the successful applicant the opportunity to leverage a strong background in external reporting, technical accounting and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance with the dynamics of a growing biotechnology company.
- Lead the timely and accurate preparation of Company’s SEC filings, including 10-Qs and 10-Ks, ensuring appropriate XBRL tagging of related content in Active Disclosure.
- Gather supporting data, tie outs and preparing information for review.
- Create and maintain SEC calendar, coordinate key timelines as well as deliverables and inform parties of necessary deadline adherence for the following processes: financial close, BOD package, press release and 10-Q/K
- Ensure financial statements are presented in accordance with GAAP guidelines.
- Proactively identify accounting & disclosure issues and perform related research and documentation of such issues in accounting whitepapers; propose suitable disclosures and benchmark against industry standards.
- Maintain relationship and work closely with External Auditors, Business Owners and Senior Management to ensure communication of critical issues in a timely manner.
- Coordinate/monitor/review the execution of audit procedures related to financial reporting and technical accounting topics.
- Partner with SOX consultants in documentation of SOX Risk Assessment, Risk Matrix, Process Documents, Testing Protocol, and Review Testing for financial reporting and other related cycles.
- Support the assessment of internal controls over financial reporting in according with the COSO Framework and Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX).
- Stay abreast of new accounting principles, SEC reporting and general trends.
- Participate in special projects and perform additional duties as required.
Education and Professional Qualifications:
- Deep subject matter expertise in SEC reporting, technical accounting and US GAAP accounting standards
- CPA required, with a Masters in Accounting or MBA preferred
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant work experience to include 4 years for a Big 4 public accounting firm, followed by experience in SEC reporting for a publicly held, 404(b) compliant, large accelerated filer.
- Experience in preparing SEC financial filings for a public company, including use of an SEC filing platform, such as Active Disclosure
- Exceptional leadership and teamwork capabilities
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Strong personal drive for excellence and highly self-motivated with strong work ethics
- Well-developed problem-solving skills combined with experience working with outside consultants in a positive and collaborative manner.
- Enjoys being ‘hands-on’ and taking ownership of processes
- Able to work in an environment where sharing responsibility for success and mitigating the shortcomings of others on the team is critical to the overall success of the Company.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with people in diverse and different settings.
- Possesses a sense of urgency; identifies challenges and problems and takes the initiative to identify solutions.
- Role model for MyoKardia’s values.