The Manager, Food Safety (MFS) is responsible for the management of the Food Safety Systems at Pictsweet’s production facilities. The MFS is the Food Safety advocate for the plant, providing leadership for the system. The MFS is the on-site food Safety and regulatory authority at the facility and shares the responsibility of driving the food safety systems of the plant. The MFS develops, modifies, and maintains the plant’s HACCP, HARPC, SSOP, and regulatory programs to ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements for the production of safe and wholesome foods.
The MFS in partnership with the Manager of Quality Systems & Continuous Improvement (MQSP) is responsible for the on-going program management and oversight of the BRC Global Standards Certification and initiatives at the facility.
- Responsible for ensuring that all Food Safety Systems & Regulatory Programs are in place for the production and storage of all products manufactured under clean, safe, and wholesome conditions.
- Perform a risk assessment of each process and develop the critical control points that will be monitored to assure the production of safe and wholesome food products.
- Develop and maintain the scientific documentation to support the decision-making process that occurs during the risk assessment.
- Manage the regulatory relations and act in concert with corporate management to resolve all regulatory issues or concerns.
- Analyzes continuous and discrete Food Safety data to measure, access, control, and improve the reliability of safe food products.
- Lead the plant HACCP team and train the employees in the monitoring and verifying the critical control points (CCP).
- Provide for a Food Safety System and Program that prescribes technically sound methods of operation for critical processes and generates sufficient records and evidence that provide confidence to customers.
- Reduce recall liability and ensure loss prevention techniques to reduce frequency. Comply with facility’s recall and traceability programs. Coordinates all mock recalls and traceability projects.
- Develop a complete SSOP program to ensure the plant is maintained in a sanitary condition at all times.
- Interface with individuals in various roles through the organization to provide corrective actions to solve a process deviation or technical problem.
- Leads continuous improvement efforts and actively participates with teams to further the improvement of food safety.
- Responsible for training all employees in the requirements of HACCP, SSOP, and Food Safety prerequisite programs and audit documentation to ensure compliance.
- Audits the Food Safety System and programs monthly and responsible for follow-ups.
- Adheres to all Pictsweet’s policies and procedures, which include SOPs, Employee Handbook, Food Quality Polices, GMP Handbook, HACCP, and Pictsweet’s Safety Procedures.
- Enforces company rules, such as attendance, food safety, production quality, safety, GMPs, and efficiency. Disciplines subordinates when non-compliance occurs.
- Submits annual budget. Monitors and adhere to budget parameters (labor, inventory, maintenance, equipment, supplies, etc.).
EXPERIENCE: Must have a practical understanding of food processing, sanitation systems, HACCP, GMP, and personnel management. This is normally gained in 3-5 years food production experience.
EDUCATION: Must have B.S. degree in Food Science, Biology or related field. The MFS must possess an understanding of management/leadership fundamentals. The MFS must have a basic mathematical reasoning ability and a basic understanding of statistics.
SPECIAL SKILLS: Must possess excellent communication skills, verbal and written, Bilingual, English/Spanish a plus. The MFS must be computer proficient with spreadsheets and word processing. Must be able to process large volumes of information, make decisions under pressure, and provide leadership in difficult situations. The MFS must be a proficient trainer of subordinate personnel.