POSITION SUMMARY: The Assignment Editor is responsible for pitching, planning, and executing the newsgathering functions, including newsroom assignments, coordinating logistics, monitoring news wires and social media with limited supervision in a complex, live and live-to-tape news operation.
- Run the desk and assign reporters; dispatching and guiding reporters throughout the news gathering process and being an effective liaison between reporters and producers
- Effectively monitor stories from all sources: social media, police, fire and court beats, scanner traffic, all newspapers, wire services, etc.
- Make calls to press contacts, gaining appropriate and actionable information, building a rolodex of media contacts and sources in the process
- Lead daily story meetings, supply a comprehensive list of all-possible news stories and video sources with coverage plans, and work with the News Director, Executive Producers and Assignment Managers to develop strategy for the morning, afternoon and evening broadcasts
- Work directly with newsroom staff on the daily creation of all News broadcasts
MUST BE OPEN TO WORKING NIGHTS, OVERNIGHTS AND WEEKENDS AS A STANDARD SHIFT
MUST BE OPEN TO WORKING HOLIDAYS
MUST BE AVAILABLE FOR OVERTIME AND ABLE TO COVER BREAKING NEWS AND STORM COVERAGE
DIRECT REPORT(S): None
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: BA/BS Degree with a minimum of 2 year in a news room as an assignment editor, desk assistant, writer, producer or associate producer is preferred.