School Year: 2023-24
Position: Alumni Services Communication Intern
Campus: Home/Central Office
Grade(s): 9th-12th Grades & Postsecondary
Reports to: Associate Director of Alumni Services
The United Schools Network (USN) is a nonprofit organization in Columbus, Ohio. After founding its first school in 2008, it has worked together with incredible leaders to open three more schools in the span of ten years. Each USN school is an open enrollment, public charter school that works diligently to close the opportunity gap in Columbus. Moreover, the mission of all USN schools is to transform lives and our communities through the power of education, while maintaining our vision: For every child, an open door.
USN currently operates two high-performing elementary schools (K-5) and two high-performing middle schools (6-8) that serve more than 800 students. We strive to provide students with a rigorous academic experience in a joyful learning environment, and we work hard to ensure that students of all levels grow and succeed by focusing on intentional student support and continual improvement.
USN Alumni Services exist to help support and guide our alumni through high school and postsecondary education and careers. The Alumni Services Communications Intern is a part-time position designed to organize and execute various projects to maintain communication and connections with the USN alumni. The Alumni Services Intern will work on projects that deliver Alumni Services messaging to the alumni community and represent Alumni Services to the public. The Alumni Services Intern is expected to communicate effectively, accurately, and efficiently, as well as have the capability to manage multiple projects at one time.
Joining Our Team
USN Core Traits:
- Mission-Driven. USN team members believe deeply in the mission of United Schools Network: to transform lives and our communities through the power of education.
- Growth Mindset. USN team members believe in their ability, and the ability of all students, to grow and improve.
- Relationship-Driven. USN team members get proximate to students, families, and colleagues to develop authentic relationships that inform work in the classroom.
- Conscientiousness. USN team members are professional, reliable, diligent, and pay attention to detail.
- Emotionally Constant. USN team members maintain a sense of calm while addressing a number of priorities.
- Collects and enters information into the Alumni Services database.
- Creates a monthly email newsletter using MailChimp.
- Maintains website and social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and LinkedIn).
- Research and share local and national resources (e.g., scholarships, volunteer opportunities, internships).
- Completes general administrative tasks, including making phone calls, creating spreadsheets, and organizing and printing materials.
- Completes other duties as assigned by the Alumni Services lead.
- High school diploma required; preferred if working towards or have earned a postsecondary degree.
- A Communications or Digital Marketing major is a plus.
- Ideal candidates can work a hybrid schedule between work-from-home and in-person.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Capacity to work independently and on multiple projects at the same time.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills: ability to interact effectively with alumni and family in person, virtually, and over the phone.
- Openness to feedback, a willingness to take personal responsibility, and the ability to learn from mistakes.
- Personal and professional integrity with a willingness to adhere to confidentiality and the OSC Code of Ethics.
- Technological proficiency in Google Suite.
- Adept at navigating the trends and best practices surrounding various social media channels.
- Experience with social media platforms (i.e., Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok).
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, excellent communication and writing skills.
Terms of Employment
Apply online at unitedschoolsnetwork.org/join.
- Although this position will begin May 20, 2024, applications will be considered immediately.
- This is a temporary, part-time position with a projected end date near the end of August.
- Report times are flexible Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., for up to 20 hours per week.
- Compensation: $15/hr
- All USN schools are Equal Opportunity Employers.