THE NEIGHBORHOOD SELF HELP BY OLDER PERSONS PROJECT, INC.
975 KELLY STREET, SUITE 401, BRONX, NEW YORK 10459-3477
Tel: (718) 542-0006 Fax: (718) 542-0944 Email: Info@nshopp.org
Position: Lafayette Estates NORC Director Fulltime/ 35 hours
Neighborhood Self Help by Older Persons Project (SHOPP) is a non-profit social services agency founded in 1980 serving minority older adults throughout the Bronx. SHOPP’s mission is based on the philosophy of self-help. We believe that older people are capable of helping themselves and helping others improve their capacity to deal with the physical, emotional, social, and financial challenges they face as they age.
SHOPP has several service programs in the Bronx that includes Community Care Network Program; VIP Elder Abuse Program and Crime Victims; NY Connects of the Bronx; Casa Boricua, Leon, Guess and Soundview Older Adult Centers; Case Management & Friendly Visiting Program; Caregivers Program and Lafayette Estates NORC Program.
SHOPP’s staff must be prepared to utilize the agency’s philosophy of self-help and mutual assistance to enable participants to gain and express positive, psychological, and social well-being as an outcome of their involvement in SHOPP programs. SHOPP participants are provided with opportunities to: access benefits and entitlements; serve as volunteers; join planning and support groups; take advantage of training programs, participate in nutritional, educational, recreational and health promotion activities; and participate in community service and leadership development.
The Lafayette Estates NORC Director is primarily responsible for program operations, planning, development, implementation, direct client services and programming and ultimately responsible for achieving contracted program deliverables. The Director reports directly to the Chief Program Officer.
Qualifications & Duties: The position requires a master’s degree in social work, counseling or equivalent profession from an accredited graduate school and experience in group work programming. Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and experience with older adult community-based services are also required. Bi-lingual skills in Spanish preferred.
- Identifying needs and providing timely intervention.
- Provides Case Management as needed via telephone, office or home visits as appropriate.
- Resolve and or mediate in potential conflict situations involving program participants.
- Provide supportive counseling to assist individuals with complex issues who may need additional support with their needs.
- Assist Social Service Coordinator with screening individual clients for benefits, entitlements, and services to assess need, eligibility and applications.
- Maintain complete and well-written documentation of participant files utilizing the STARS database.
Provide oversight of the program’s planning, organizing, and implementation of all program activities.
- Provide supervisory review of all case management and case assistance service delivery and documentations.
- Provide supervisory review of the record keeping of all center activities.
- Provide supervision to Healthcare Management component of NORC program to ensure service provision to meet the unique needs of older adults who have immediate and on-going healthcare needs.
- Conduct annual performance evaluations.
- Provide leadership in developing and overseeing organizational policies and procedure.
- Identify, recruit, train and provide on-going support to all program staff.
- Conduct program team meetings and provide case consultation assistance.
- Develop and approve work/ offsite schedules; approve timesheets and petty cash.
- Provide support to the Food Service Coordinator in the development and implementation of the programs food service delivery.
- Provide support to the Senior Coordinator of Programs to secure and assist in the development and implementation of the center’s activities and SHOPP Virtual Connections.
- Provide support to the Community Wellness Manager / Healthcare Coordinator and Fitness Coordinator to secure and assist in the development and implementation of the center’s health promotion and healthcare activities/events.
- Cultivate and Maintain community partnerships both inside and outside of SHOPP’s Network.
- Contribute to initiatives by developing work plans, preparing reports, sharing input for proposals, and communicating performance target outcomes to the Chief Program Officer.
- Collaborate with management teams to develop and implement plans for the operational infrastructure of systems, processes and personnel aligned to meet the strategic objectives of the organization.
- Facilitate quarterly meetings of the Senior Advisory Board.
- Examine program spending and participate in budget meetings with Grant Accountants.
- Exercising sound judgment within general policy guidelines and involving SHOPP administration in decision-making.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of staff meetings, staff training, and staff development.
- Assist with public relations and promotion of SHOPP and SHOPP events.
- Facilitating and leading change and growth.
- Building and maintaining effective working relationships with center participants, staff and SHOPP administration.
- Complete other duties appropriate to the position as assigned by the Chief Program Officer.
To apply for this position, email your resume and cover letter to:
email@example.com ATTN: Diana Delgado, Neighborhood SHOPP
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER