IT Software Engineer II
The American Medical Association (AMA) is the nation's largest professional Association of physicians and a non-profit organization. We are a unifying voice and powerful ally for America's physicians, the patients they care for, and the promise of a healthier nation. To be part of the AMA is to be part of our Mission to promote the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health.
We continuously work to embed equity in our internal practices and are committed to increasing the diversity of our staff across all levels of the organization. We intentionally work to create the right conditions to enable our employees to feel that they can be their authentic selves and fully participate in the life of the enterprise.
We encourage and support professional development for our employees, and we are dedicated to social responsibility. We invite you to learn more about us and we look forward to getting to know you.
We have an opportunity at our corporate offices in Chicago for a IT Software Engineer II on our Information Technology team. As an IT Software Engineer II you will be responsible for developing reusable, scalable and maintainable website solutions and delivering best in class websites and mobile apps. Our digital platform is built on the Drupal 9 and hosted on Acquia, but an understanding of a wide range of web technologies is a plus. You will also be responsible for providing day-to-day support for the CMS platform, as well as custom module development and testing the quality and security of your code. Demonstrable experience with administration of Drupal-based systems is key and will involve the ability to handle complicated backend tasks such as migration, search customization and web services programming.
- Participate in system development life-cycle for new solutions as well as enhancements in an Agile, sprint-based environment; including requirements analysis and accurate work estimation activities. Develop exceptional software solutions to specified end user business requirements, user stories and complete unit testing for all software development.
- Participate in technology renewal activities such as applying new software upgrades, security patches and completion of any required programming, testing and improvements.
- Report project status in a daily stand up and as additionally required to project manager. Proactively raise concerns, issues and risks regarding assignments to management in a timely manner. Share intellectual knowledge, learn and understand existing application systems, and participate in cross training with other team members. Identify opportunities to continuously simplify and/or optimize current technology investments and/or recommend new technologies for consideration.
- Work with the designated manager to provide operational system support. Participate in “break-fix” issue resolution. Assist proper validation with end users to ensure system issue resolution.
- BS or BA degree in information technology or related field or equivalent experience is required.
- 4+ years of experience years of experience building Drupal 7+ websites with a focus on back-end tasks including site building, module installation, configuration management, migrations, etc. This should include at least 2 years of experience with Drupal 8 development.
- Extensive experience with Drupal 8/9 custom module development and Drupal coding standards and best practices.
- Proficiency in PHP &+, MySQL, HTML5 as well as using Drupal Core APIs of mobile, responsive design and development practices is required.
- Experience managing dependencies with Composer, working with Drush and Drupal Console and Git and Git-based workflows.
- Experiencewith the following is a plus:
Upgrading sites to Drupal 9
Decoupled Drupal architecture
Configuring Apache Solr and SearchAPI
Integrating with CDNs (Fastly, Cloudflare)
Single sign-on integrations (SAML, OAuth, OpenID)
Working with Test Driven Development and proficiency in unit and functional testing
Familiarity with Acquia platform
Familiarity with REST APIs
Understanding of Drupal caching layers (memcache/redis, Varnish, APC/OPcache, etc.) and performance tuning
Understanding of non-for-profit and/or healthcare related business processes
Active participation in Drupal community (Drupal.org profile, IRC, local user groups, etc.)
Certified Drupal Developer
- Understanding of and familiarity with Agile and Scrum process in a Web based development environment.
- Ability to work well with people from many different disciplines with varying degrees of technical experience and varying levels within the organization. Demonstrated ability to work well within a team of software engineers on project tasks.Understanding of non-for-profit and/or healthcare related business processes a plus.
- Ability to work effectively within a team while being considerate with other team members required.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously. Manages own time effectively and requires minimal supervision.
- Ability to express technical concepts effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to travel occasionally, work long hours and meet with vendors and mid-level business leaders.
The American Medical Association is located at 330 N. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 and is convenient to all public transportation in Chicago.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. As an EOE/AA employer, the American Medical Association will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and veteran or disability status.
THE AMA IS COMMITTED TO IMPROVING THE HEALTH OF THE NATION