Under direction, the Originating Site Registered Nurse (OSRN) will function as the coordinator of the customer-provider encounter for Medication Clinic delivered through Telemedicine and other Registered Nurse duties as assigned. The Department Head for the OSRN is the Director of Medical Services. The County Administrator and/or designee will provide direct supervision when OSRN is on site. This position will be directly supervised by the Medical Program Administrator.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Nursing Licensure:
- Possession of a valid Oklahoma Registered Nurse License with no restrictions, OR
- A temporary RN license issued by the Oklahoma Board of Nursing will be allowed pending application for permanent RN license has been filed and necessary documentation has been provided to the nursing board. However, a valid permanent license must be obtained prior to completion of probationary period.
- 2+ years of supervised experience in a mental health treatment setting preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of current principals, techniques and procedures used in nursing.
- Knowledge of the following concepts: metal health, mental illness, psychiatric disorders, dual diagnosis, trauma related conditions.
- Knowledge of theories, principals and process for case management of individuals and families.
- Knowledge of psychotherapeutic approaches for individuals and families.
- Evidence based nursing interventions for mental health conditions, psychiatric disorders and trauma related disorders.
- Knowledge and proper use of equipment used for telemedicine program.
- Knowledge of medications for the treatment of psychiatric disorders, and medical conditions.
- Knowledge, understanding if State Statue 43-A, and demonstration of appropriate delivery of care for the patient that requires crisis stabilization
- Knowledge of symptoms indicating adverse reactions, and symptoms associated with medical conditions, which includes Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome
- Understanding of pharmacology and knowledge of commonly used medications to treat mental health/psychiatric conditions.
- Thorough understanding of the relationship between neuroleptics and movement disorders, along with early recognition of Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome.
- As directed by provider, ability to properly administer medications, oral and injectables.
- Ability to provide education for medications, including proper administration and possible side effects.
- Excellent physical and psychosocial assessment skills.
- Ability to accurately document in the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) and documentation requirements for medical necessity.
- Completion of Case Management training with completion of recertification annually
- Ability to create therapeutic environment by establishing relationship with customer and facilitating customer-provider interaction.
- Recognizes importance of interdisciplinary approach to treatment and readily collaborates with other staff treating person served.
- Knowledge of community resources such as social services and health care services.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Practices within the scope of practices for RN according to Oklahoma Nursing Practice while adhering to facility policies and procedures
- Prepares person served for medical encounter by conducting vitals and completing originating site note.
- Prior to medical encounter, reports to provider any concerns or abnormal finding observed during intake.
- Consistently review customer charts to ensure an Abnormal Involuntary Movement Scale (AIMS) is being completed on three month basis or as ordered by provider, and properly documented.
- Notes and follow through with laboratory orders, or additional orders as prescribed by provider.
- Possess therapeutic communication skills with the patient, and families
- Completes documentation if the EMR/ with concurrent documentation
- Provides appropriate health promotion and disease prevention messages based on age, development and culture.
- Ensures follow-up visits are scheduled, as ordered by provider.
- Participates in quality assurance reviews as implemented by management.
- Receives training on RN Medication Reviews and conducts RN Medication Reviews as assigned.
- Participates in scheduled staff and educational meetings.
- Maintains current CPR and First Aid certification.
- Completes initial Therapeutic Option training and annual updates.
- Performs other reasonable related duties as assigned by immediate supervisor or other management as requested.
- Must be willing and able to perform all job related travel normally associated with this position.
- Regular and predictable attendance is an essential job requirement.
- Must meet “satisfactory” expectations at any scheduled job performance evaluation.
- Quality of work will be evaluated through training, skill, or special purpose. Must be competent and adequate.
Must perform the specific job duties as listed above to meet position expectations.