Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the 21st century. We build open source technology and organize a network of people dedicated to making government services simple, effective, and easy to use. Our employees build and transform government services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, non-profit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for both the government and the people the government serves, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America you will contribute to meaningful work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Come help us drive real generational change that lasts.
Code for America is looking for a Senior Program Manager to join Code for America’s most mature service, GetCalFresh, with the goal of ensuring that clients can apply for and keep CalFresh benefits with ease. This is a newly created role to join the GetCalFresh program team. The ideal candidate will bring deep knowledge about the SNAP (CalFresh) program’s policy and operations.
About the Role:
The Sr. Program Manager will work with internal and external partners to deepen the impact of GetCalFresh at the county and state level. This person will also contribute to the visibility, advocacy, and domain expertise of the GetCalFresh service.
You are a perfect fit for this role if you are a process improver, systems thinker, and compelling communicator who believes in our vision of a safety net that serves all people with dignity and respect, and you have the experience to achieve it. You know that systemic change takes time and diligence, and you lead with curiosity and empathy. You thrive on a cross-functional team, in a fast paced environment, and gravitate towards opportunities for growth, learning, and connection.
This role is based in San Francisco or remote in California with 30-40% travel, and reports to the Associate Program Director of GetCalFresh. Code for America prioritizes our staff’s health and safety, so we will not have employees travel until further notice (projected to be later in 2021).
In this position you will:
- Maintain and grow human services relationships across county and state agencies to ensure GetCalFresh can be scaled effectively and leads to statewide systems change.
- Improve client outcomes by tackling enrollment and retention barriers in partnership with community-based organizations, advocacy organizations, and government partners.
- Analyze and document insights / trends related to the CalFresh enrollment and retention process.
- Collaborate with a cross functional team that includes design, qualitative and quantitative research, product, and engineering to plan for and manage projects, inform product priorities, and develop, test, and implement product features.
- Develop program strategies to further Code for America’s approach to delivery-driven policy and advocacy.
- Be the voice of partners internally and in product decision-making while being fluent in communicating product strategy and priorities to external partners.
- Develop metrics and dashboards and bring visibility to program achievements such as pipeline development, progress towards policy goals, operational changes, etc.
- Drive superb execution, identity and mitigate risks, and communicate clearly with internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide support in managing any government or philanthropic funding streams to include contract management and reporting, as needed.
- At least 5 years of policy or program development experience with increasing responsibility, preferably with health and human service expertise. SNAP outreach, policy, or operational experience required.
- An empathetic peer leader who can work collaboratively with employees across disciplines (engineering, product, service design, data science, qualitative research) and at all levels of the organization, and is proactive around team and external communications.
- Strong verbal and written communicator, with the ability to build internal alignment and visibility, and to find common ground and build relationships across differences (especially within a government environment).
- Navigates ambiguity successfully, flourishes with minimal guidance, and knows when and how to engage key stakeholders and when to consult for advice on decision-making.
- Highly organized and creative problem solver with strong project management skills, attention to detail, successful follow-through, superb execution, and the ability to prioritize across multiple projects and workflows.
- Demonstrable experience in partnership management, management consulting, product management, or outreach.
- Lifelong learner with persistence and curiosity amid complex systems and constraints.
- Comfort working with data and the ability to conduct basic data analysis.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and gravitates towards continuous change.
- Willingness to travel up to 30-40% time, mostly throughout California (health and safety permitting)
- Passion for the Code for America mission and a strong vision for the role technology plays in optimizing government service delivery.
- An optimistic realist who uses constraints to build opportunities within a government services context.
It’s a bonus if you have:
- Lived experience with Social Safety Net programs, like SNAP, Medicaid, TANF, or WIC.
- Experience with human-centered design projects that include qualitative research, gathering insights, and rapid prototyping.
What you’ll get:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds
- A collaborative, hardworking and fun working environment
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Professional development includes bi annual 360 review process and $1000 annual budget
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Compensation: Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We extend this to our hiring process. This role at this level is ranged from $80,000- $120,000 in yearly salary. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we target the median for all new hires. The median for this role is $100,000. These ranges and the target are for the San Francisco/ Bay Area market and subject to adjustment for cost of living differentials.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.