We at Forster Electrical Engineering, Inc. are a growing electrical engineering firm in Oregon, Wisconsin that specializes in helping municipal electric utilities keep the lights on. We are a recognized leader in electric utility distribution systems.
Due to increasing client demand, we are expanding our drafting team and are seeking candidates who are up to the challenge to be part of this exciting field. This person will be able to work autonomously as well as supporting a team of experts in a busy work environment. Our team is a close-knit group of people who work hard together and have fun along the way. At Forster, you can experience a variety of projects while maintaining the flexibility that larger firms cannot provide. Since Forster focuses strongly on keeping work in balance with your personal life, you will not have to worry that your family time will constantly be cut short because of emergencies at work.
As a suburb of Madison, WI, we enjoy the benefits of a major metropolitan center while still maintaining that “small town feel”. We are within walking distance of three parks and just fifteen minutes from downtown Madison. Beautiful summers spent on the beaches of the four nearby lakes, warm springs in the botanical gardens, and autumns filled with color make Oregon a truly special place to live. And, being part of the ecosystem of Wisconsin’s fastest-growing city means that you’ll never run out of interesting places to see or things to do. If this interests you, we would love to talk.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Prepares drawings of plans and details as required. Assists with development of power line and substation plans. Produces spreadsheets and letters as required. Gathers field data as directed.
- Work effectively with the team leaders to identify and resolve issues related to project design.
- Provide support to the project teams.
- Update technological and professional skills by continuous and ongoing commitment to training and lifelong learning opportunities.
Duties to include the following, other duties may be assigned by the Team Manager as needed.
- Prepares drawings of plans and details as required using AutoCAD, Microstation, and Power CAD drafting software.
- Assist with cost estimating of distribution and transmission power lines
- Gather field data required for project design.
- Develop plans and specifications for underground and overhead distribution lines
- Develop plans for distribution substations
- Develop Bill of Materials and gather "cut sheets" for all items
- Take the lead on line staking and other surveys required.
- Evaluation of designs to make sure they meet all safety code criteria.
- Evaluation of material strengths and physical properties of all key construction materials.
- Apply for all required permits.
- Evaluation of bid documents and contract preparation.
- Consultation with owner, installation contractors, and material suppliers.
- Perform line staking and other surveys required.
- Coordination with engineers from other areas of work.
- Construction inspection.
- Review of contractor/supplier invoices.
- Produce record ("as built") drawings.
Minimum Requirements and Education:
- Requires a high school degree or its equivalent, a minimum of one year of technical training, and at least 7+ years of experience in the field or in a related area. Has good working knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within the engineering field. Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office products (i.e., Work, Excel, Power Point) some familiarity with drawings, drawing management system and CAD software is a plus.
- Effective oral/written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to exercise mature and responsible judgment while working under daily stress and work-related pressure.
- Ability to collaborate with others to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate information, scheduling and feedback with others while displaying good analytical and diplomatic capabilities when dealing with others.
- Physical Requirement: Physical demands may include but are not limited to the following; Sedentary work, close visual acuity, stooping, crouching, kneeling, handling, and lifting up to 25 pounds. Some travel is required and may include overnight stays.
Level of Supervision:
Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job. Works under minimal supervision, reports to Team Manager. A certain degree of creativity and latitude is required.
- Communication Skills – Clearly articulates the key points of an issue; keeps the attention of others; takes recipient’s needs into account when speaking or writing. Ability to read and interpret documents such as CA’s, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Client Focus – Address client needs in a timely manner.
- Initiative – Demonstrates a high motivation for succeeding; shows effort and drive in the face of obstacles; sets aggressive goals for oneself and works hard in achieving those goals; is internally driven.
- Priority Setting – Focuses on what is important and is able to set appropriate course of action to accomplish goals.
- Teamwork – Support team efforts; helps build a spirit of participation and belonging; adds to group cohesiveness by emphasizing team objectives and reinforcing cooperation.
- Mathematical Skills – Ability to work with mathematical concepts and fundamentals. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Reasoning Abilities – Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.