A MT/MLS performs laboratory tests to aid in diagnosis and treatment of disease. Assists in collection, processing, and analysis of test ordered by a physician. Responsible for QC, calibration and all instrument maintenance. Medical Technologists are able to recognize interdependency of tests and have knowledge of physiological conditions affecting test results which is used by the physician to determine the presence, extent, and possibly the cause of disease.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Baccalaureate degree in Medical Laboratory Science with Board Certification or
- Registry eligible to be completed within six(6) months of employment
- Current CPR certification preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Typing and computer skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Medical Terminology.
- Good customer relation skills.
- Good communication/phone skills.
- Professional knowledge of concepts, principles, practices, methodology including routine, complex and infrequently requested analysis.
- Knowledge of quality control principles sufficient to maintain and advise on action relative to quality control concepts and correlation of laboratory results.
- Knowledge and understanding of instrument technology sufficient to monitor mechanical and technical operation and locate and correct malfunctions.
- Automated and semi automated laboratory testing analyzers for departments such as Hematology, Coagulation, Urinalysis, Chemistry, Microbiology, Pathology, Blood Bank.
- Computer literacy required
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Acts as a mentor to other staff members on testing, quality assurance, and quality control questions.
- May act as a technical and general supervisor.
- Responsible for day to day laboratory operations.
- Performs routine/complex tests in areas of the laboratory using highly technical instrumentation.
- Correlates unexpected lab test results with disease states or apply scientific principle theory of testing procedure for instruments, reagents, quality control to determine the rationale behind unexpected or inconceivable results.
- Performs preventive maintenance, troubleshoots and repairs instruments to ensure the smooth operation of the laboratory.
- Recognizes, identifies and resolves problems and issues that arise without direct supervision.
- Sets up and assists with the development of in-house protocols for new procedures from manufacturer’s instructions and established references.
- Actively participates in Laboratory Quality Assurance and performance Improvement activities with emphasis on assuring compliance with regulatory and accrediting agencies. Informs other staff of changes that occur.
- Evaluates new instruments and procedures and provides feedback on ways to improve service delivery.
- Maintains quality control programs and takes appropriate action to resolve unacceptable values.
- Maintains inventory control to assure adequate supplies and reagents needed for operation.
- Maintains and supports computer information systems by entering data, analyzing, verifying, and printing reports; accessing patient and testing information and providing assistance with this information to hospital staff.
- Writes standard operating procedures, prepares reports, and reviews testing results.
- Actively participates in laboratory and/or hospital committees and activities such as continuing education and customer service teams.
- Notifies provider of critical results within acceptable timeframes.
- Process specimens for reference laboratory.
- Demonstrates knowledge of principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and age specific needs.
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for delegated tasks.
- Assists in orientation of new employees.
- Assumes responsibility and accountability for skills, performance, and behavior in accordance with hospital, laboratory, and section policy and procedures.
- Demonstrates ability to multitask and prioritize work to meet needs within established timeframe while experiencing frequent interruptions.
- Promotes customer service/satisfaction.
- Demonstrates a willingness to perform cross functional duties to insure optimal utilization of departmental resources.
- Attends and participates in departmental staff meetings.
- Attends mandatory hospital education annually.
- Addresses conflict in a manner that supports team development.
- Demonstrates flexibility in scheduling to meet department needs.
- Verbalizes a clear understanding of performance improvement measures and actively participates in improvement initiatives.
- Complies with all standards and safety precautions as mandated by accrediting and regulatory agencies and hospital policies.
- Ability to work confidentially with protected health information.