Under the supervision of the Respiratory Care Services Medical Director and Department Director, the RCP is responsible for providing Respiratory Care Services within specific physician's orders, department policies, and procedures. Provides Respiratory Care Services as outlined in the Respiratory Care Scope of Services at Knox Community Hospital.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
NRP certified current Pediatrics, Basic Life Support, Emergency intubation (all ages), able to write legibly, extensive walking with bending and stooping, assisting patients in chairs, carts, and hospital beds, etc. some equipment lifting and supplies approximately up to 50 pounds. Working long hours between meals or breaks. Ability to relate to people and show leadership. Demonstrate an interest in on-going self-development and education.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Graduate of an AMA-approved School of Respiratory Therapy.
- NBRC certified Respiratory Technician or NBRC Registered Therapist licensed by the Ohio Respiratory Care Board.
- Current State of Ohio Respiratory Therapist Licensure.
- Successful completion of Neonatal Resuscitation certification.
- BCLS certified.
- Three or more years of previous experience in all aspects of cardiopulmonary services preferred.
- BLS CPR certified
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintains knowledge of the various methods of oxygen delivery, including the necessary equipment. Remains alert, assesses possible side effects to oxygen delivery.
- Administers respiratory therapy treatments, understands the purpose of each and the possible side effects associated with each.
- Sets-up and monitors mechanical ventilators and the associated critical care duties required for such treatment, such as airway management and tracheal suctioning.
- Performs arterial punctures to obtain arterial blood samples for blood gas analysis, and understands the possible complications and contraindications as associated with the procedure.
- Documents all pertinent data on the PCN following completion of any service.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of all departmental forms, flow charts, logbooks and their proper usage.
- Performs all additional duties as assigned by the department director.
- Performs EKG's, sends reports to ordering physicians plus physicians on the case. Records and files reports in the department according to department procedures.
- Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of the differences in techniques and treatment modalities as performed on patients of varying ages, including pediatric, adolescent and geriatric patients.
- Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly. Inspects and tests respiratory therapy equipment to ensure that it is functioning safely and efficiently.
- Formulates a teaching plan based on identified learning needs of a patient and evaluates effectiveness of learning. Patient’s family is included in teaching as appropriate.
- Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity. Coordinates and directs patient care to ensure patients' needs are met and that hospital policy is followed.
- Ability to assess patient, his/her need, and ability to tolerate treatment and reassessment for response to treatment.
- On call rotation.
- Work every other weekend.
- Perform tasks that are supportive in nature to the essential functions of the job.
- Participate in staff meetings, educational programs, committees, QI activities and mandatory in-services.
- Demonstrate initiative in personal/ professional development.
- Present a professional image.
- Assist with control of costs through the judicious use of human and material resources.
- Other duties as assigned.